Sookie Stackhouse fans get the shaft


I love Charlaine Harris and the Sookie Stackhouse series, but this book was a big "fuck you" to all Sookie fans. 13 books and YEARS of my life are gone for the biggest letdown in recent memory. Charlaine Harris is supremely talented and she had the power in her hands to make us fall in love with the baddest of bad boys then said, "Oh, I'm tired of this so never mind"  GRRR!! Here's my review:

2 stars: What just happened?

First off, I'm not usually one to complain about price in a book review, but this IS still a product review, so I have to say this book is overpriced for a Kindle version. With that out of the way, I'm so upset with the way this book was written. I absolutely love Charlaine Harris and the Sookie Stackhouse series. I have invested YEARS reading this series and we got the shaft. I wasn't disappointed in who she ended up with, on the contrary, I think Sookie had to end up there. It's how Sookie got there that really screwed the fans.
This book starts out in 3rd person, then goes to 1st person, and then suddenly you're back to 3rd person again. It was really annoying and throws you out of the story. The big issue we've all been waiting to see resolved was the relationship between Eric & Sookie. That's all I cared about any longer. I didn't care to read another somebody-is-trying-to-kill-Sookie book. Somebody is always trying to kill Sookie! Who cares? If you're waiting to enjoy the final drama between Eric and Sookie to play out, then get ready for disappointment! It was swept aside in 2 pages as if years were not invested in the whole story of them. From there, the whole book felt forced as if the author was trying to tie a bow on our years of investment so she could move on to the next thing. I feel so cheated.

Comments

  1. I haven't read the Sookie Stackhouse series, but I have read The Wheel of Time - 14 books and 20 years of my life, plus a huge chunk of my relationship with my Dad! Robert Jordan even died before it was finished and Brandon Sanderson wrote the last 3 books. The final book is still sitting on my shelf, unread, because I am afraid of this kind of letdown. I am 99.9% sure I won't be let down, but... once it's over, it's over, and once it's read, it can't be unread, and once it's finished... it's finished. Forever. No more. Finito. I understand your sense of outrage and disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww :-( I think that is the most heart breaking thing of all; it's too late to make it right. It's over.

      Delete
  2. I had only gotten around to reading the first 4 or 5 books in the series, but had planned on reading them all...you just saved me a bunch of time!. I feel guilty when I start a series and don't finish it, so this has been hanging over my head for a while. This was a great post-you represented the jilted reader in a very real way...sometimes it is sad when authors forget that we readers have almost as much invested in their characters as they do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I was able to save you some money. The characters do belong to the fans. Charlaine Harris gave them life but the fans kept them there. It's sad that our feelings weren't taken into account.

      Delete

Post a Comment